How to Use Smart Balls to Tone and Strengthen Pelvic Floor MusclesPosted by Wendy Lee on
Smart Balls and other pelvic floor toning balls prevent and correct bladder weakness in women. They are suitable for women of all ages who have weak pelvic floor muscles due to lack of pelvic floor exercises, pregnancy and childbirth, hereditary factors, aging, hormonal changes due to menopause and most women with mild to moderate prolapse.
Bladder weakness can affect women of any age, race, stage and phase. So even though it can be embarrassing to talk about, it's good to remember your not alone. Over 40% of New Zealand and Australian women experience bladder weakness at some stage in their lives and over 70% have bladder weakness during pregnancy. For most women this is something you can fairly easily resolve.
Smart Balls are effective because they tone and strengthen your pelvic floor muscles as you go about your daily activities. Once your pelvic floor muscles develop ‘muscle memory, ’ they automatically close to hold the Smart Balls in place, requiring little effort from you.
Smart Balls and other pelvic floor balls are part of a simple muscle training system, there is no magic bullet here, the key is regular use. How often and how long you wear the balls for.
Pelvic toning balls help women to regain confidence around activities they may not have been able to do for a while due to bladder leakage such as running, jumping on a trampoline and playing active games with the kids as well as sneezing, laughing and coughing without wetting your pants.
Smart Balls should not be used during pregnancy. They are safe to use prior to becoming pregnant and approximately 6 weeks after giving birth once you have had the all clear from your health professional. For pregnant women we recommend using Natratone.
Smart Balls are available as a single ball Uno or the double balls Duo. Ideally all women will work their way to being able to wear the Duo, however for most women we recommend starting with a single ball as it is a lot easier to use. You can purchase these in a pack with lubricant included or as just the Smart Ball.
How to insert and wear your Smart Balls
Smart Balls should never be painful or uncomfortable to wear or insert or remove. You will initially notice a 'bearing down' feeling as your muscles become accustomed to the sensation of the weighted Smart Ball. This will soon go away, most women do not even notice the balls are inside, this is perfectly normal.
- To insert your Smart Balls we recommend you find a quiet moment so you can take the time to relax and insert the ball (single) or balls (double). It is very straight forward to insert and remove the balls once you have got the hang of it. – It takes a few seconds.
- Allow yourself an half an hour or so of undisturbed time so you can get used to the sensation of wearing and using the Smart Balls. We recommend using Smart Balls around home to start with and then out and about during your normal day once you are confident and able to wear them for longer periods of time
- Often whilst learning to use the balls women tense up and contract or tighten their pelvic floor muscles making it difficult to insert and remove the balls.
- Apply lubricant to the balls and a small amount to the string. Use a hypoallergenic lubricant that will not irritate the vagina. (Do not use baby oil or Vaseline or other petroleum based products)
- Sit or stand so that you can easily insert the Smart Balls into the vagina. Breathe deeply and squeeze and relax your pelvic floor muscles (as if you were having a wee and then stopping mid flow). Insert the balls as high as you can – rather like inserting a tampon.
- If the balls are not inserted high enough it will be uncomfortable and they are likely to fall out.
- To start with you will need to actively squeeze to hold the Smart Balls in, this the start of training your pelvic floor muscles to know what to do.
- Hold the Smart Balls in for as little as 5 minutes if this is what you can manage, up to 30 minutes the first time.
- You will need to be in an upright position – standing is best. Ideally for the first 4-5 times you will be standing or walking about the house.
- Do not be tempted to wear the Smart Balls for several hours the first 3-4 times as you muscles may get fatigued and you won’t be able to wear them for a few days. It is no different to any other new exercise regime, you wouldn't run a marathon the first time you go out for a run, it is the same for your fanny exercises.
- To remove the Smart Balls, again find a quiet moment, sitting or standing breather deeply and squeeze and relax your pelvic floor muscles. Then gently push the balls out and gently apply pressure to the loop.
- Remember this is not a tug of war! If you start to panic your muscles will tighten and you will not be able to get the balls out. It is better to walk away and try again a bit later.
- Your Smart Balls are not going to go anywhere, gravity means as long as you are upright they will sit on the pelvic floor muscles and can be removed. They do not get stuck – however you can prevent them from coming out by not relaxing
- The medical grade materials Smart Balls are made from mean make them safe to have in the body for long periods of time.
- Each day you want to add 5-30 minutes to the time you keep them in for. After a few days your involuntary muscle response will take over and you will not have to actively squeeze to hold them in.
- You need to learn to relax your muscles enough to go to the toilet without pushing them out. Once you have mastered the basics, then you need to maintain the frequency – ideally daily use- and gradually increase the amount of time you wear them for.
- Your aim is to wear the Smart Balls for a full day- 5 to 10 hours a day for a minimum of 6 to 8 weeks and more ideally for 3-4 months.
- You vagina will not become too strong as a result of using Smart Balls
Regular use is the key to success with Smart Balls
- The key is regular use. Once you put the Smart Balls inside there is no extra effort required.
- Ideally you will be wearing the balls inside the vagina for long periods of time, so we recommend coating your Smart Balls with a good quality water-based lubricant such as Probe, to ensure they move comfortably around inside. Also put a little on the string where it sits inside the body to ensure there is no friction.
- Choose a time to test drive your Smart Balls when you have some time to yourself and are intending to be at home for at least a couple of hours.
- Either sit our stand so that you can insert your Smart Balls into the vagina, and breath deeply to ensure your vaginal muscles relax.
- Slip the balls inside the vagina. Apply more lube if you need to. Some women find they tense up. Gently massaging the clitoris, with Purr Clitoral Arousal Gel can make it easier to insert your Smart Balls if you are finding it difficult. Make sure that both the balls are inserted and that the string sits outside the body for easy retrieval.
- Once your Smart Balls are safely inside, just go about your usual routine. Initially you may feel a slight bearing down internally, however as your PC muscles become more toned this sensation will go away.
- Wear the balls for a few hours every day for a week or so, building up the amount of time you have them inside. Your goal is to wear them all day every day or every second day for between two weeks and a month. You should notice the difference and if your partner is a guy, he will notice the improved squeeze on his penis.
- With a little improved muscle tone, you will be able to wear your balls to work, while exercising, around home…anywhere you please.
- Once you have done that initial work out, you can wear your Smart Balls for a day once per fortnight or more if required, for maintenance.
- To remove the Smart Balls: relax your vaginal muscles and gently pull both removal strings. You may need to give a gentle push with your pelvic floor muscles to help removal. If you have any difficulty or find your muscles tense up do not keep pulling the string. Take a few moments to relax, take some deep breaths and try again. Squatting or standing with a leg up on a chair may aid you to gently push the Smart Balls out.
- Your Smart Balls will not get lost or disappear, nor will it do any harm if you leave them in and go away and try later, so don't panic. If you are having trouble getting them out it is because you have tightened your pelvic floor muscles.
Sex Benefits of using Smart Balls;
- Stronger muscles also mean improved blood flow and improved sexual responsiveness in women of all ages
- An orgasm is a muscle spasm, so with me toned PC muscles you are likely to have stringer orgasms
- If you partner is a man, he will notice the tighter squeeze during intercourse -most men notice after around 2 weeks of full day use.
- Feeling more confident can help to improve libido an feelings of desire.